Pages

Friday, April 14, 2023

Spring snow

 It's snowing today. It was 80 F day before yesterday. I'm not complaining, though, not at all! While the western part of the state got lots of moisture this year and the states below us got record snowfall, our area hasn't even hit average precipitation for the winter. 

We have had 3 years of drought, bad drought. Our well got a little iffy last year, had to quit watering the garden and ration our household usage to make sure we had enough for the animals, and we culled the herd hard. We've had grasshoppers in biblical proportions, three years of getting it's leaves eaten as soon as they came out finally killed my 9 year old apple tree. Sad day. And hay, that's been a challenge. My hay guy had to go buy hay. We had to look far and wide to find some, too. Our little river even flirted with drying up, it was reduced to largish puddles. 

All that to say that we are really hoping for a WET spring, even if it's snow. I'm being wildly optimistic and planted some peas, carrots and lettuce. I'm probably not going to go for long season crops but some spring greens would be welcome.

On the bright side, kidding season has begun. I have milk again! Yay! I can't tell you how much I've missed that stuff. The kids are cute, naturally. With babies and a bit of moisture, it's even beginning to feel like spring, just a little. 

So let's lift a glass of the white stuff and have a toast to more snow!


Obligatory baby pics. :D







2 comments:

  1. Baby goats and fresh milk are some of life's best elixirs! Your kids are adorable!

    I love your optimism. It sounds like you've been dealing with your circumstances wisely. Some things are beyond our control, but maintaining a positive attitude is its own type of success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think two things that are an absolute necessity with this lifestyle are a sense of humor and wildly inappropriate optimism. rofl!

      Delete