Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Cafeteria style mineral feeder

Well, I finally got my mineral feeder done. I'm moving to cafeteria style minerals as a one size fits all is just not working. I get a good one for the goats and the cows go to pot and vice versa. And if I put two out, the wrong animals always use the wrong one. Hopefully this will help things!

I've had the dairy girls on these for about a month and have just got the boys and cows set up. While it's not long enough to notice any difference in the boys yet, it's been interesting to see how different their tastes/needs are than the girls. They are not hitting the same minerals at all!


Here they are from the animal side. As you can see, I still need to get some rain cover up on half of it.



A couple of the boys partaking of the new buffet.
 A view from my side of the fence. Easy to fill without going in the pen.

I looked at what other people were doing and most were for cows. The feeders were boxes with covers on the ground. I though there's no way the goats wouldn't end up climbing (and pooping/peeing) all over those so I had to come up with something else.  So far, so good, but we'll see how it stands the test of time and use.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I know this is an old post but I've been thinking about a cafeteria style mineral feeder for my goats so I'm interested in yours. Are you still using it? What do you think about it now? Any advice or tips? (Like have you figured out how to keep them from pooping in it? LOL)

    ReplyDelete