Pages

Friday, November 30, 2018

Fire....honey?

Every heard of Rosemary Gladstar's fire cider? Oops, I think that is now a trademarked term. Anyway, she throws some garlic, horseradish, ginger root, cayenne and few other things in a jar and covers everything with apple cider vinegar and lets it sit for a few weeks. We've made it and it does help with colds and flus and such but only one person in my family likes vinegar so we don't tend to use it as much as we probably should. So I decided to try some in honey.

A favorite cough syrup around here is to cook some onion carefully in a bit of honey and then add some fresh lemon juice. It's fairly effective and tastes good, surprisingly, and it always makes the littles feel better just to get some special treatment. So, for my 'fire honey', I put in some horseradish root, some garlic, an onion, a bit of cayenne pepper and a few slices of lemon that I had in the freezer. I'd put some ginger root if I had any, but I don't. I don't know if this will work. It may ferment and work out perfect, it may turn to mead with the lemon liquid in there, although I don't think there's enough of that to make mead, or it may grow weird things. I giess we'll find out!

I'm going to let stuff settle a bit, but I think I may have to add a bit more honey. The other jar is fir twigs in olive oil. I like to use this stuff in my homemade lotion, love the smell of it!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good idea! Fun to see those jars filled with earth-grown goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have jars of something stewing and/or bundles of plants drying. I always get questions when people come over. :D

      Delete
  2. Would love to hear how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted. I'm thinking of trying another batch without the lemon, just in case the liquid from the lemon is an issue but I think I'll give it a couple days first and see what's happening.

      Delete