Pages

Friday, March 3, 2023

I think I'm Back

 Wow! It's been a while, hasn't it? Life sort of got in the way, internet breaks, etc. It started with a very needed internet break, moved onto a little bit of life overwhelm and then stuff just fell by the wayside. So, what's been happening with me in a nutshell? Oldest child is out in the world, youngest is now Middle Not So Little Child and now there is Surprise! He's almost 2 now, a most unexpected gift. 

Critters have come and gone, my old lady cat, Skeeterbug, just recently passed at 20 1/2 years old. Our old dog Lucky has also passed at 15. We still have a pack though. Still have our goats, although I've had to cut the herd a bit, drought has made quite an impact. Still have cows for freezer fodder. Was hoping to be able get rid of them in a few years after Middle Not So Little passed her worst teen eating years, but given the way Surprise eats now, we're gonna need a bigger herd.

Still have the chickens, did get rid of the ducks. Last year I put sand in the coop for flooring. Gotta say, I really, really like it! I go in and rake poop up twice a day and everything stays so much better smelling and cleaner throughout the winter. There won't be the dreaded spring back breaking cleanout this year. So thankful! I'll just not think about how I may have to move the sand out to rest and get cleaned outside while I move a new bunch in. I'm going to try to avoid that. We'll see how it goes, still a work in progress.

Given the drought, it has become rather imperative to get going on that rotational grazing system I've been thinking about but putting off. I've got about half the wire needed so far. I still have some time, the ground is still frozen.

Garden has been a wash the last three years. Between no water and grasshoppers in biblical proportions it has not gone well. So far, this year is not looking any better.

So, no pics of anything this time, not that anyone has missed my stunning photography, hahaha! If I can think up new topics, I'll keep posting. If anyone is still reading, anything you want to hear about?

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Your post popped up on my blogger reading list and that was a pleasant surprise. I do know what you mean about life, time, motivation, and blogging.

    Congratulations on Surprise! A joy, I know. Glad to hear you've still got most of your critters, would love to see photos of them. Are you still making rugs, or doing other crafting adventures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll work on some pictures soon, promise. :) I am still making rugs, made a couple braided rugs from flannel sheets over the winter. Also made a fuzzy one out of minky blankets for Surprise's room. Now I'm gearing up for kidding season, starts end of this month for me. Looking forward to it, I miss my fresh milk!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete