Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Spring has arrived! I think ....

The weather has warmed up and things are growing! Mostly. My asparagus started coming up almost three weeks ago. I was pleased to see several purple plants with stalks big enough to pick. I didn't pick because (except one) because there aren't enough stalks on each plant, but they are looking good for only their second year up from seed. The worrisome part is that it's still dropping to the mid 20s at night, so they are getting froze every night. That can't be that good for them. Fingers crossed! We're supposed to have snow again this weekend. :(

I had to pick one purple for my picture.
Spring greens are coming up as well. Had a wonderful dinner the other night with nettles, dandelions and onion greens sauteed with some diced chicken and some spices and some fried cheese as well. Put some of that in a tortilla and it's a wonderful spring evening treat. I wanted some lambsquarters but they are just thinking about coming up.

Rhubarb is up and then some. I got 22 pounds my first harvest. Anybody want some rhubarb?

Now I need to get busy on putting some more fencing in for my rotating pasture system. I can only afford to do one fence line a year, but we're getting there.

Goats are all kidded out and everyone is doing fantastic. It's awesome to have milk again! And cheese!

Between stuff that needs doing around here and having to help a couple friends out with some life issues, I've been going at 110% for the last couple weeks. At least it's a good season for it!

And, just because, here's an odd picture. I was up walking the fence in one of the paddocks and came across this.

Weird, huh? I'm guessing it was a bird preparing dinner but it seems to have forgot to come back and eat it.



No comments:

Post a Comment