Pages

Friday, May 26, 2023

Watering the cows....



 As I mentioned in the last post, I finally managed to get my cows out to some fresh pasture. We are having a much wetter spring than we've had in a bit, (thankfully!!) but I'm still in the whole 'water is precious' mode so I'm saving all the rainfall I can. In addition to my normal rain barrels, I have the overflow going into extra troughs laying around. I use it to water what outdoor plants I have at the moment as well as my houseplants. I am also using it to water my cows. 

We have this little tiny submersible pump that I used for my rabbit watering system years ago (typical farmer mentality, never throw anything away) and I now use it to fill a 55 gallon barrel that I use to transport water to the cows. I can get two barrels out of the 100 gallon troughs, which is nice, but I also have this big, big trough that was given to us. In wetter times it was our 'pool'. Now it catches rain overflow. I can water the cows for quite some time and it hasn't even made it more than half full yet. Every bit I can do to preserve our well, I'm on it.




2 comments:

  1. My husband would agree that one can never collect too much rainwater! Great idea for collecting the overflow. My ducks would love that. I like how you use it to fill your 55-gallon drum. You've worked out a logical system that minimizes water waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it seems to be working like a charm! The kids like it, too, since it still sort of functions like a pool as far as they're concerned. :)

      Delete