Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Sand in my chicken shed

Last year, spring, summer, somewhere along those lines, I decided to try using sand in my chicken shed instead of wood chips or shavings. I'd been reading about it, pros and cons, and decided to give it a shot. I'm getting too old for that much dreaded, big ol' spring coop cleanout. I gotta say, I like it!


I simply go in with a little rake and modified horse poop scoop twice a day and clean up the poops. Takes me just a few minutes and the coop is sooooo much cleaner and sooooo much better smelling!! And instead of everything freezing solid once it gets cold so that I can't clean the coop til spring, the cold, frozen poops are actually easier to clean up than when they are soft. The one downside is the birds love to dust bathe in it, particularly under the roost. I can live with that!


1 comment:

  1. I say, experimentation is always a good idea! I like how easy this seems to be. I'm glad you found a method that you're happy with (cleaning out chicken coops isn't a favorite job for anybody).

    ReplyDelete