Pages

Friday, September 21, 2018

Hanging my cheese thermometer

This is just my little cheese thermometer hack. I had a nice floating cheese thermometer that had a clip on it. I liked being able to hook it over the edge of the pot as it made it easier to read the temperature. It got dropped and that was the end of that one.

I bought another but didn't pay attention to if it had a clip or not, and it did not. While it floats, it's a bit more inconvenient to use. I have to pull it out of the milk and swipe it clean to read. That, or just stick in every few minutes to check temp. While this is not world ending, it's inconvenient since I'm usually doing other things while waiting for the milk to heat and it just easier to be able to stop briefly and glance at the thermometer.

So, I made my own 'clip'. I took a nicer quality wire tie and a curtain weight that I had laying around. Attach the tie to the weight on one end and the thermometer so I can hang it over the edge of the pot. Works good. :)



4 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! I've thought about trying to figure out how to float mine in the pot, but your idea is simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was pretty pleased. Who doesn't have wire ties and a weight of some sort hanging around? :)

      Delete
    2. I have to do this! I have a metal dial type and I have to dip it in and wait for it to register AND it has moisture in the dial because I've dropped it in the milk often. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. When I first did this, I thought it's such a piddly little thing, it's not worth mentioning. But then I needed a post (kinda like now) and though what the heck. Who knew?

      Delete