Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

Update on the Fire Honey

Wow! Last day of 2018 already. I hope everyone had a good Christmas and will have a great 2019! We've finally had some cold weather and little bit of snow so not much going on except keeping warm. I did want to do a little update on the Fire Honey experiment, though.

A couple days ago I went ahead and strained the honey. It is definitely more liquid than normal honey, because of the lemon juice I assume. It tastes.........different. Definitely spicy! Earlier in the process I could see the little air bubbles of fermentation so I'm pretty sure I have a very weak mead of some sort. Doesn't taste the least alcoholic, though. In the two pictures below, you can see the little fermentation bubbles.




While nobody has been sick, I've tried a few spoonfuls of the concoction, just to make sure there weren't any nasties in it and I'm happy to report that I am still alive! :D While I haven't been sick, this stuff will still make your sinuses move. I am not sure of the best way to store it so I've divided it and put part in the frig and part at room temperature. I believe if we get the chance to try this medicinally, I'll put it in some tea and see if it still works there as well as try it straight out of the jar. If (when) we get sick, I'll let you all know how well it worked.


 Here's the final, strained product. I only strained through a sieve so all that stuff you see on top is at least partly cayenne. I mind it in there so didn't bother to strain though a cloth or something to get that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment