Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A mini greenhouse experiment

So I'm trying another experiment. I seem to do that a lot.........

Anyway, I have tried and tried this winter sowing method I keep reading about and have never had it work. The closest I have come is to have my seeds sprout during the usual January thaw and then die. Usually, though, the wind just tears my little containers to pieces. Or relocates them. So I came with an idea to give it one more try.

I found a couple of those plastic water tanks, you know the sort that go in the back of a pickup? I cut them in half right at the wheel well area. I'm going to use the top as a mini greenhouse to protect my seed pots for winter sowing. I know this will mean keeping a closer eye on watering since they won't get any from the weather and it's too big to keep a couple pots moist, but maybe it'll work. If nothing else, I can use them for hardening seedlings off or something. They even have a lid on the top where you would put water in that will make a perfect vent.

Here it is, cut and ready to go.


Here's a few pots, seeded and watered. Now we see what happens.
I stuck my wireless thermometer sensor out there and so far it's been a little more impressive than I was expecting. It gets to at or up the 5 degrees Farenheit above the outside temp at night and up to 20 degrees on a sunny day so far. It even does well on cloudy days. And, best part, so far everything is staying put on our windy days. Yay!

I'm going to get some plugs for the outlet on the bottom pieces and use them for the ducks to play in.



3 comments:

  1. Your cat looks just like our Riley! Great idea for a mini-greenhouse. I hope it works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's Skeeterbug, the old lady of my bunch of cats at 16. She still tends to think we can't do any work around the place without proper supervision.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete