Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

You know how they say it's all in the timing?

Well this bird ain't got it!  We had such a mild winter for so long, but it finally decided to show up around the first of February. And then it decided to stay. We haven't seen freezing in a month. And in the last couple weeks, it has snowed a fair bit.

Now this isn't a big problem, it's not at all abnormal for the area and I like it. I like winter. However, it doesn't seem like the best of times to decide to go broody. But what do I know? I went ahead and let the chicken have half a dozen eggs because, what the heck, right? As of right now, there are three chickies under her. Naturally, she picked the top nest box so getting out might be a bit of an issue. Not to mention it's below zero (F) and that's not looking to end soon.

We'll just watch her close and when she looks like getting restless, she and her brood will go in a nursery pen so the little ones have less place to get lost in and less competition for food. Fingers crossed!


This is the temp today, not sure what it is if you figure windchill.

What it looks like outside, still snowing pretty good.


And a couple babies. Not the best picture, but I didn't want to expose them to more cold than I had to.


And this weather is why I haven't been really doing anything blog worthy. I've been keeping animals alive and staying warm! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment