Pages

Monday, March 11, 2019

Update on my broody and her chicks.

Well, that broody hen has managed to keep all her little alive so far. Quite impressive since their first week was -30F. Water was an interesting challenge. My birds get heated dog bowls for their water in the winter but I couldn't use one of those for the chicks, it's both too tall and too deep. So I decided to try popping the bottom out of one of the heated bowls and setting the chick waterer on that. It actually worked out pretty well. It would work better if the waterer fit the base better but I can keep one side thawed and also the main jug part as well. I did bring it in at night when it that cold, but once it got back up to 0F, I left it out there and it has been fine.


There's the bowl the heat element came out of.

And here's the heating element.


No comments:

Post a Comment