Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2019

I love baby season!

I know I haven't been keeping up lately, but there's just not been anything happening. It's just been cold and snowy. Now, though, things are thawing and stuff is starting to grow. It's also baby season!

A couple days ago we had our first baby goats of the season. I'm keeping a friend's goats for while til circumstances are better and we had decided to breed the alpine. Even though she's a senior lady, she was in good shape and had plenty of spunk. I mean, you'd never believe her to be 15. Her teeth are in better shape than my 9 year old goat.

Here's the old girl a couple of days before kidding.



I always have big kids here, not sure why. I have been working on that issue for years, but am not having much luck. This old lady ended up with a 10 lb 15 oz buckling and a 7 lb 6 oz doeling. It was a long, difficult delivery but she came through it like the trooper she is. She's a good mom and it looks like she'll be a good milker as well. The kids weren't even close to keeping up with her yesterday so I milked her out and got 6 lbs. Not bad for 2 days fresh and 15 years old!

The little girl, whom we are calling Tidbit at the moment.

And the monster little boy.
 

Anyway, she seems to love being a mom and the kids are doing great! Three does yet to go, but the first ones are always the most exciting.


3 comments:

  1. That's pretty amazing. I didn't realize they could still kid at that age. Glad to hear all went well. The kids are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little hesitant about it, but since she was in such good shape, we decided to give it a shot. I'm still thrilled at how well it went, overall.

      Delete