Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

My winter sowing update

Well, it's spring. The rhubarb is up about 6" and the wind has gone into overdrive. It's still nice, though.

This year I have had the most success ever with winter sowing! I got carrots coming up! Usually when I do this, my success rate is a big, fat zero, so having one thing I planted come up is very nice. :)

I've also stuck my tomato, pepper and broccoli seedlings out under my experimental mini greenhouses and, so far, they are loving it. I popped the lid on the one where the broccoli is for better ventilation because it gets rather hot in there. The other one I leave alone unless it gets to 80F in there. Which it does sometimes. The tomatoes and peppers like it so much better than their box and grow light in the house!


It's hard to get good pictures when trying to hold the tank up at the same time. I need to make a prop for when no children are available. Anyway, these are my tomatoes and peppers. And one squash. This is after two days, no wilting or apparent signs of stress. After about a week, they turned a nice, dark green and are growing well. You can see how happy the grass is under, too.





This is all my winter sowing attempts and my broccoli seedlings from in the house. The long brown box is my carrots. The large round pot with stuff growing is just full of lambs quarters and knotweed, which wasn't planted, but that's what you get when you leave it outside too long in late summer. You can really see the grass circle in this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment